Facebook is the world’s most popular website for social networking and it is only one of many Social Networking sites. Twitter, YouTube, BlogSpot, FourSquare, and Google+ are a few of the many more sites available. Most UF and Santa Fe students have one or more Social Networking accounts. Below are ways to stay safe when social networking.
- NOTHING is completely secure on the Web.
- Once something is posted to the web, it can NEVER be fully deleted.
- Use complex passwords and unrelated to any of your information.
- Limit your personal information that is visible to others by adjusting the privacy settings
- Four questions you should ask yourself prior to posting the content:
- Would you be comfortable showing this to your parents or grandparents?
- Would you be comfortable with this information appearing in the newspaper?
- Does this information give a stranger too many details about you?
- Can someone use this information to hurt me?
- When creating a Social Network profile, leave out essential contact information: phone numbers and physical address
- Post only general information; do not post class or work schedules
- The content you post can inform an employer, administrator, or students about you
- Read the terms and conditions
- Check Google to see what information is available to the public about you