Walking, riding a bike or a scooter might be the best option if your apartment is close to campus. If you live further out, then you can ride a bus or drive. There are many apartment communities in Gainesville located on the RTS bus routes that make it easy for you to ride a bus to Santa Fe College and the University of Florida. Driving is an option too, but you will have to deal with traffic and finding parking on campus.
Walking - Walking is a great way to get to and from classes if you are close to campus, but be safe and don’t walk home in the dark or in parts of the city you do not know. Walking saves you money and time if your apartment is close to campus.
Biking - Gainesville is a bike friendly community. Most major streets have bike lanes and drivers are learning to share the road with cyclists. Here are tips to keep you safe and within the law:
- Cyclists must obey all traffic signs, lights, signals, and devices (this includes crosswalk signals as applicable).
- You must ride with the flow of car traffic on the right side of the road.
- A bike is designed to carry one person, but a child seat can be attached.
- It is recommended that all bike riders wear helmets, but the law only requires all children under the age of 16 wear bike helmets when riding.
- The breaks should be working on the bike.
- Bike riders must obey pedestrian laws when riding on a sidewalk or crosswalks.
- You must yield the right of way to pedestrians when riding on sidewalks.
- It is recommended that riders only ride with traffic, but when riding on sidewalks, riders can ride with and against traffic.
- If you must ride after dark, bikes are required to have a headlight and taillights. It is also important to wear bright colored and reflective clothing to ensure proper visibility.
- Left turns should be made from the left lane or left turning lane only. Bike riders must signal within 100 feet of executing a turn by extending their left arm horizontally.
- Right turns should be made from the right lane or bike lane. Bike riders must signal within 100 feet of executing a turn by extending the left arm upwards or extending the right arm horizontally.
- The speed limit on campus is 20 mph. If you exceed this limit on a bike, you can get a speeding ticket if you are caught.
- The RTS bus system provides bike racks that are located at the front of each bus. For more details, see the RTS website: www.go-rts.com/bikes.html.
Public Transportation - RTS routes 10, 23, 39, 43, and 76 provide direct service to Santa Fe’s NW campus. Feeder routes to the Oaks Mall are 5, 6, 20, 62 and 75, where you can take route 23 to Santa Fe College. For the complete route map and schedule, go to www.go-rts.com. Santa Fe College students and staff may ride standard RTS buses for free when showing a current Santa Fe College ID. For more information on RTS buses for Santa Fe students go to www.sfcollege.edu/student/sla.
University of Florida students, faculty and staff also may ride free with their Gator 1 card. RTS offers multiple bus routes on campus with service to every area of the University and routes to all points of the City of Gainesville as well. If you want to learn more go to: http://parking.ufl.edu/transit-commuting/. To find the buses you need go to the RTS Gator Locator at http://ufl.transloc.com/. Save money, avoid traffic and parking hassles and get to where you need to go quickly by using RTS.